Monday, March 10, 2014

And yet one more surprise in my PowerToLose

OK this is my last update on my saga of selecting a new electricity reseller.

As I said last time:
I have finally settled on Penny Wise at an advertised rate of 8.7 cents per kWh. It's not without caveats.

Yep. The caveats got me. It turns out this great rate was based upon using 2000 kWh per month, a limit I have never achieved in my 2400 sq ft home. My usage has not ever topped 1500 and only 4 months out of the year have I been over 1000 kWh. The 8.7 cent rate was based upon using 2000 kWh a month, a detail buried in fine print. The real rate for those using less than 2000 is 9.2 which in my case, based upon my historical usage and factoring fees and penalties, comes out to 9.8.

So, 9.8 is only .2 over my last rate but I had to scrap to find it. I do remember the 7 cent rate I had for many years prior to deregulation, but someone has to pay the salaries of the middlemen resellers.

No comments: